Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Wow.

On a whim and some advice from a movie store employee, I watched "Shoot 'Em Up". I've got to say, this was probably the most inventive and entertaining action movie I've seen in a long time. There were fight scenes in this movie that I have never seen done before...not even in Bond movies.

There was literally some crazy shit going on during THE ENTIRE MOVIE. The gun fights were pretty awesome. I don't know who came up with the idea of having a gun battle while sky diving from a 747, but I'd like to shake their hand. Fine work and thank you for actually coming up with something original. Even if the dialog was silly and the plot was silly, the action, for once, actually made up for it.

I've always been the girl who prefers some substance to films, or at least a little gore. I've been known to poo-poo action movies because they lack substance and originality. This movie wasn't one of them. Plus, don't forget the whole reason I watched the movie to begin with...after I heard that the "bad" guy was Paul Giamatti I just couldn't resist. :)

His character was supposed to be really twisted and to enjoy torturing people. Giamatti just isn't that guy. But, the way he played the role made it work. He was still twisted and enjoyed torturing people, but not really in a menacing way. He kept his "Sideways" persona and gave him a knife, a gun and a motive. Interesting to say the least.

So, yeah...watch this movie. It is mindless entertainment, but it is ORIGINAL mindless entertainment. If anyone gets a count on how many bullets were fired in the whole movie, let me know. :)

No comments: