Thursday, January 3, 2008

Cloverfield Mania

Ok, I have seen a ton of monster movies (I'd like to think all of them, but I know better) in my life and Cloverfield doesn't look like anything I've seen yet. Which means...I'll probably go see it.

I love horror films in general, especially zombie movies and alien movies. I am so tired of seeing the same movie remade over and over and over and over again. No one gets creative or inventive anymore and the entire horror genre suffers for it. My husband and I have better ideas for zombie films than anything I've seen since 28 Days Later. But, I gotta say...this looked pretty cool. I don't know how pleased I am with the handicam camera work, but I'll have to wait to see how it works with the film. Most of the time, I find handicams rather annoying, but sometimes they are very effective in getting that "gritty" or "real" feel.

What I really like about the trailers is that you DON'T SEE THE MONSTER. If there even is a monster. No one will fess up. But, regardless, you don't see it! I hope Cloverfield joins the ranks of movies like Alien, when you caught only glimpses of the alien throughout the entire movie. Even at the end, before she blasts it into space, you can barely make it out because of the darkness and Giger's amazingly graceful design. Enough about Alien! Cloverfield!!!

I'll be there opening night, hopefully with a good review when I get home. :)

On a pseudo related note...what is up with people (ie Fox news) equating the poster for Cloverfield to 9/11? Just because it is in Manhattan? Or is it because it is the Statue of Liberty? Or maybe just because they would hate to see something good available to the public? (don't get me started on their Corporate owned media influence. it just pisses me off.) Is it just to make Americans remember their fear that was instilled in them by the media because of the approaching presidential primaries? Whatever their reason, I think it is incredibly stupid to equate a monster movie to a very sad, and very convoluted event such as 9/11. It is a shame that the least "true" news channel is exploiting 9/11 victims and victim's families. Shame on you fox. Shame on you indeed.

No comments: