Friday, January 4, 2008

Eastern Promises...of disappointment

Ok, so I am fascinated with mob movies, especially violent mob movies. I can't help it. So, I watched Eastern Promises. The characters were interesting, the acting was good, there was an AWESOME fight scene, and then...nothing. There was nothing. The end of this movie pissed me off in a way I haven't been pissed off since I watched Contact. If you have seen Contact you know what I'm talking about. If not, go ahead. Watch it. The movie is fantastic and cool until the end. Ugh. Why do film makers insist on ignoring the importance of the END of the movie?

Eastern Promises disappointed me. It kills me, because the plot was simple but interesting, the acting was good, the cinematography was interesting, the characters were very developed in a very smooth way, the action was good...the ending SUCKED! It was so disappointing. After building up the characters and after getting a glimpse of what was really going with Vigo's character, why why why would they end it in such a manner? It didn't have to be a happy ending. It just had to be an ending. This nonsense...not an ending.

You don't even need closure, just something that tells you...this is the end of the movie! Grrrr. The fight scene I spoke of though, almost made up for it. Almost. I've never ever ever seen a totally nude fight scene. And one so utterly brutal at that. It brought to mind a passage from The Drawing of the Three in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. One of the characters Eddie, fought a gun battle naked and the Gunslinger had to give the guy props. It takes some guts to have your junk hanging out when someone is either shooting you, bludgeoning you, kicking you, throwing you, or stabbing you. And for the naked dude to succeed is just awesome. So, go Vigo! You did a great nude fighting scene. That must have sucked to film.

I don't rate movies on a scale. So, here's my rating...If bad endings don't bother you, definitely see this movie because otherwise, it was good. If crappy endings do bother you, definitely see this movie so you can bitch and moan like me. But at least you get to see the fight scene.

No comments: